Lymphedema is an abnormal swelling of a body part, most commonly an arm or leg.
Causes of lymphedema may include:
- Removal of lymph nodes
- A side effect of radiation
- Trauma to the lymphatic system
Symptoms of lymphedema may include:
- Tightness, swelling or thickening of the skin
- Feeling of heaviness or achiness in the limb
- Burning or tingling sensation radiating down the limb
Despite being chronic and progressive in nature, lymphedema may be successfully treated and managed. Fairfield Medical Center has staff specially trained in the treatment of lymphedema. Treatment of lymphedema is accomplished by means of manual lymph drainage, compression bandaging, therapeutic exercise and education in self-management techniques.
To learn more about our lymphedema services or to schedule an appointment, call Outpatient Therapy Services at (740) 687-8602.