A deep-rooted history serves as the foundation for Fairfield Medical Center, paving the way for our continued growth and progress.
Originating as a private, 10-patient-capacity health facility, Lancaster's first hospital is known as Park Street Hospital.
The hospital changes its name to Lancaster Municipal Hospital with the slogan, "Good Will for the Ill." It’s owned and operated by the City of Lancaster.
A school of nursing is built, hosting its first graduating class in 1920 and continuing until 1960.
After gradual expansion, patients are transferred from the original building to a new six-floor facility, which is now known as the Patient Tower. A single-floor building is constructed to connect the renovated 1953 facility, the West Wing, to the Patient Tower.
The hospital is reorganized from a county-sponsored facility to a nonprofit hospital and changes its name from Lancaster-Fairfield County Hospital to Lancaster-Fairfield Community Hospital.
The ambulatory care center is opened and equipped to provide a full complement of outpatient services.
The facility for psychiatric health is created to provide short-term comprehensive inpatient psychiatric services for adults.
The "Building on Excellence" building and renovation project includes the conversion of the hospital's first floor to clinical facilities; enhancing and expanding diagnostic, surgical and therapeutic services; the remodeled obstetrics unit to provide maternity patients with state-of-the-art care; and combining the coronary-care and intensive-care units into a single, more efficient and functional critical-care unit. The hospital changes its name to Fairfield Medical Center to better reflect the expansion of services offered and the communities served.
A multi-phase project, including the expansion of the emergency department, the radiation oncology wing and cardiac-services, is completed.
The completion of the first phase of a 65,000-square-foot addition and the construction of a 45,000-square-foot medical office building is realized. The "North Entrance" to the Medical Center is officially opened, welcoming patients and visitors to the new endoscopy suites, observation unit and cardiovascular-services areas.
Construction continues today to add two new catheterization labs, an expanded emergency department and to provide for the future growth of the radiology and surgery departments.
Fairfield Medical Center is pleased to partner with Mount Carmel Health System to open Diley Ridge Medical Park in Spring 2010. This new facility will offer a full-service emergency department, outpatient testing facility, inpatient observation area and a medical office building.