A Functional Capacity Evaluation (FCE) is a comprehensive evaluation of functional movements, abilities, and tolerances. The evaluation process typically requires 3 to 4 hours and includes:
- Medical and Vocational History Interview
- Subjective Review of Symptoms and Functional Abilities, Pain, and Tolerances
- Comprehensive Musculoskeletal Evaluation
- Cardiovascular Endurance Testing
- Positional Tolerance Testing
- Dexterity and Manipulation Testing
- Material Handling Abilities for Lifting, Carrying, and Pushing/Pulling
- Work Specific Tasks
A Baseline FCE can be completed to identify baseline abilities/limitations for the purpose of determining further rehabilitation needs, employment or disability decisions, or litigation purposes.
In addition to completing a basic assessment of a client, a Job-Specific FCE can be designed to determine a client’s ability to safely complete specific job demands and provide information relative to a client’s ability to return to work, including any recommended modifications or additional services or support that may be required in the workplace.