Music Therapy for Your Baby
Music therapy is the use of clinical and evidence-based music interventions through individualized goals within a therapeutic relationship. The therapy session is led by a credentialed professional who has completed an approved music therapy program. To say it simply, music therapy is the use of music to improve quality of life. Fairfield Medical Center offers music therapy for your baby. There are many benefits to music therapy.
Fairfield Medical Center offers Obstetrics Music Therapy to:
- Reduce pain perception
- Increase relaxation
- Learn lullabies and increase family bonding with your baby
- Select recorded music for labor or your infant
- Create special musical gifts for your infant
Use music and singing during pregnancy and after birth to provide the following benefits:
- Appropriate stimulation of the baby’s auditory system
- Increased brain processing of information received from auditory system
- Familiar music and voices can further increase comfort and relaxation, especially when using familiar sounds
- Increases bonding between infant and singer
- Continuing singing into toddler-hood can support developing language
- Provides siblings with a safe and easy way to interact with their new baby and increases bonding among children
To request a music therapy session, simply ask your nurse. The nurse will contact one of our board-certified music therapists, Erin Spring or Jessica Schlabach, and schedule a session for you and your baby. Learn more about our music therapy program or music therapists.