With spring in full swing, people generally have good intentions of exercising more and eating at least a little healthier. But as the weather gets warmer, it becomes more challenging to keep those intentions, as distractions – such as family gatherings, graduations and birthday parties – become easier to adopt as excuses.
It is never too late to start an exercise program and implementing one is not as difficult as one may think.
10 Tips to Get You Moving and Motivated
- Make your health and well-being a priority – nobody else can do that but you.
- Set goals that are realistic and practical.
- Pick an exercise or activity you enjoy.
- Involve your family and friends in your new activities.
- Start small and build over time – remember, some activity is better than none.
- Consistency is the key – make an appointment with yourself to get moving and keep it!
- Be patient – results can take weeks or months before becoming evident.
- Make small changes, which add up over time. Seemingly small things like taking the stairs add up over the course of your day.
- Never let a “day off” turn into a “week off.”
- Don’t get discouraged – habits take time to build, and lifestyle changes take even longer.
Learn more about making your health and wellness a priority by visiting
Fairfield Medical Center’s Healthy Habits page.